+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Patio Paver Help/Tips

I am starting a patio project. I have a 15x10 concrete slab that is flanked on 3 sides by house. The slab is about 9 years old and in good shape.

I am wanting to cover the slab with Pavestone Oxford Pavers. I have plenty of room from the door thresholds to the pavers once installed. The patio will extend past the concrete slab and be a 1/2 circle out past the slab. The half circle will go out about 12 feet and will wrap around those 2 trees (see pic). I'm planning on creating a crush stone base and sand layer for the 1/2 circle.

I am planning on a layer of sand over the concrete slab as well.

The paver company's website says to glue the boarder down and have a layer of sand under the field when paving over a slab.

My question is: since the slab is lined on 3 sides by walls, and the fourth side will be the 1/2 circle... do I need to adhere the border rows on the slab? I feel that they will be pretty much retained with the house stucture and I am going to be retaining the 1/2 cirlce all the way around.

Is a patio 1/2 over slab, 1/2 over crushed stone base a good idea?

tips?

Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2271.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	2162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top-down.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	2163  
    Last edited by Kevin L.; 02-19-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Default Re: Need Patio Paver Help/Tips

My question is: since the slab is lined on 3 sides by walls, and the fourth side will be the 1/2 circle... do I need to adhere the border rows on the slab? I feel that they will be pretty much retained with the house stucture
    I would agree with you. Also if you were to glue the edgers directly to the concrete pad and putting sand under the field pavers , they would be higher than the edgers.
    A few things come to mind when looking at your picture. It looks as though the siding on the house comes down close to the pad which means the siding will be covered by the pavers along the bottom.
    With the pavers that will extend past the pad you will need a good base of stone . Which means removal of the soil down a few inches. The thing I see are the 2 trees you seem to want to surround. You might end up damaging their roots and stressing the trees while excavating for the base needed for the pavers.