+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sewer Gas Smell

Default Sewer Gas Smell

We smell sewer gas under our kitchen sink perodically. Sometimes it is strong other times weak. Season seems not to be a factor. We have a dish washer and a disposal. We have a double sink so there are two drains going into a single at the wall. The dishwasher drain goes into the disposal - we rarely use the disposal and it disperses a bio agent each time it is used - this does not seem to have a smell. All pipes appear to be secure. We have tried bleach, etc but seems only to be a temp. solution. What could possibly be the source? See attached photo of our piping config. under our sink.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4075.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	3817  

Default Re: Sewer Gas Smell

Howdy is the small after using the disposal? Been reading that too much water force in the pipe can allow the p trap to be drained below the level of water to stop air from the sewer to come into the home.

It looks like there might be a quick vent on top of that drain line. I would check that. it could be faulty

this problem only can be solve by Gas providing company they will see it and may be your joints are leaked

Howdy, Yor12ks i think you got this one confused, Gas company not needed but a plumber most likley...

Quote Originally Posted by mindless35 View Post
    We smell sewer gas under our kitchen sink perodically. Sometimes it is strong other times weak. Season seems not to be a factor. We have a dish washer and a disposal. We have a double sink so there are two drains going into a single at the wall. The dishwasher drain goes into the disposal - we rarely use the disposal and it disperses a bio agent each time it is used - this does not seem to have a smell. All pipes appear to be secure. We have tried bleach, etc but seems only to be a temp. solution. What could possibly be the source? See attached photo of our piping config. under our sink.
    One thing to consider is the drain hose from the dishwasher is incorrect. It should be up higher than the sink flood level. The way it's sitting low is allowing water to siphon back in the that low point. Looking at your picture it looks as though that low spot is discoloured indicating standing water.
    Also, I'll bet there's more stuff in that space under the sink than the picture shows. If items are crammed in that space it's probably pushing against that hose and causing it to sit lower yet.
    If you really don't use the disposal ,consider removing it. That will clear up a lot of storage space.

A candle is best solution of this problem

I agree there is leakage osme where or some point is loose check it yorself or call some plumber

Well you say you hardly use the disposal so maybe that trap is drying out.

Anyway, i think you have one too many traps there anyway.

A single trap with both sink drains connected to it should fix this

in my opinion.