+ Reply to Thread

Question Removing Tiles: Which tool do we use?

We have a slate tile floor and need to replace part of it. The previous owner of the home did not seal an exterior door, so the sub-floor under the tile around the door is rotted and the tile is cracking. The grout lines are staggered and not straight, so we'll have to cut some of the tiles to make a straight line. What is the best tool to use to cut a (reasonably) straight line in the tile? Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Removing Tiles: Which tool do we use?

if dust is an issue take a utility knife to all the grout lines where you want to stagger back from. basically sc**** the grout out. you can mask off the room with plastic and use a mini grinder as well. from there a hammer and flat bar is all thats needed
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Dremel also has a bit attachment to their Multi-max tool that helps remove the grout in no time flat. Use that in conjunction with a manual grout removal tool and you'll be in business.

To cut through the tiles, if you have the leverage, you can opt for a circular saw with a diamond blade attached. It'll make a nice cut right through.

What re the layers below the tile? If the tiles are set directly over plywood you will have a re-curring problem.

Sc**** the grout out with a grout removal tool (there are many to choose from) before attempting to lift any of the tiles.

I was taught to let the size of tile dictate the width of grout line. I used a 12" x 12" tile and went with a 1/4" grout line.

grout line width has more to do with the type of tile as to opposed to size actually

and in regards to the dremel multimax attachment, it wears out pretty quick and they run about $25 to replace last time i checked. this is part of the reason i recommended a mini grinder,the tool itself is cheaper to pick up and a wheel is about $4, then another $15 for a utility knife with extra blades
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks for all the help,
    @Houston Remodeler- There's plywood under the tile, which we're replacing because it's also damaged.

My question is also relevant to the topic. In our house we have to replace old kitchen tiles to the new fancy ones,
    how can it be happen? Thanks in advance!!

well simple miny grinder is the solution, what else