+ Reply to Thread

Question ceiling with origina ealy 1900 dark wood

Has anyone ever painted dark wood beams on a ceiling white? This is an old house with all dark wood trim (door frames, diamond windown frames, working fireplace with dark wood mantel, etc.)Would painting the wood white de-value the house. Thoughts, comments? Thanks, jwillis

Default Re: ceiling with origina ealy 1900 dark wood

It would for me.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If all goes well, I will soon be buying a house with painted beams, I would actually like to strip the paint if possible. the beams are very textured and I do not know how hard it will be to strip the paint.

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.stevenmcclenning.com/beams02.jpg
    http://www.stevenmcclenning.com/Beams_01.jpg

any suggestions?

steven,

Kinda looks to me like there's drywall compound or plaster slathered on sides of those beams. Can't tell for sure what goes on as regards the bottom, but the "tooling" marks don't look authentic to me. Looks like "faux" antiquing.

How old is the house.....or this part of the house? There might not be anything under there that you'd really want to look at......in terms of visual aesthetics.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-04-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks for your opinion, the house was built in 1934. What you said makes sense, although it did not occur to me. The Home inspector said that the beams are structural. It does look like plaster, so what would be underneath, ugly wood?