+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 x4 scaffolding

I'm getting ready to re-install siding on my home and would like to set up a wood frame scaffolding system using 2x4's and USB sheathing. Don't want steel rental scaffolding as it will be too expensive due to length of project (about 6 months). Need to go up to 15 feet in 5 ft increments. If anyone has seen plans for wood frame scaffolding please advise. Thanks for your help.

John F

Default Re: 2 x4 scaffolding

Howdy, would make that 2by6 and no plans but have seen 20' 2 by 8 framing with cross bracing. and out riggers to keep it from moving. You can purchase light weight scaffolding for a few hundred$ that would serve you better and can have rollers on it.
    Wood - having to level it off and moving it as heavy. Plus you can always resell the scaffolding when you are done and likely get most of your $ back....

precisely, most cities construction saftey officers will shut you down in a second if they see wood scaffold built. they want metal staging
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    precisely, most cities construction saftey officers will shut you down in a second if they see wood scaffold built. they want metal staging
    JKIRK,
    We dont have any scaffolding/staging police/officers in the U.S that Ive ever seen that could shut a homeowner down for saftey on there own home as long as there doing the work. Some states may have there own Construction Safety Laws and Procedures laws for homeowners,Ive never seen it.

Osha's only has the ability to shut down projects and contractors that have paid employees as far as I no.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for your responses. I have already constructed and used a wood scaffold that was 10 ft high with a 4ft x 8ft deck. It was solid as a rock with two people on board. It had wheels and worked perfectly for installing windows. Based on that success it seems like a larger version should work just as well.

For this siding job I need a design the length of the house (max. 43 ft) capable of rising to 15 ft. Basically it should have a 4 ft wide deck, 2x4 uprights (maybe 2x6) plenty of cross bracing and perhaps outriggers. The trick will be designing it with the capability to move up in 5 ft increments as the work progresses. Not certain how to do that.

Steel scaffolding will work fine. But I am doing this job by myself (no crew)so it will take a long time. Rental fees would be prohibitive.

seems odd. if something did happen such as the scaffold tipping or failing and the homeowner were on it, more than likely i could easily see the homeowners insurance would siting neglegence do to usage of scaffold not approved by engineer or osha.

in regards to using wood scaffold on a job site though. i have a few friends that are framers, they do so a few times a year and every time either the builder shuts them down or a saftey officer does. fines can be up $1500 just for a first time offense
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    seems odd. if something did happen such as the scaffold tipping or failing and the homeowner were on it, more than likely i could easily see the homeowners insurance would siting neglegence do to usage of scaffold not approved by engineer or osha.

in regards to using wood scaffold on a job site though. i have a few friends that are framers, they do so a few times a year and every time either the builder shuts them down or a saftey officer does. fines can be up $1500 just for a first time offense
    On private property OSHA has no jurisdiction as for the need of an Engineer it is only required if height is over 120 Ft.
    J Kirk makes one very good point Home owner Insurance. Make sure you get it in writing that it is exceptable under your policy or have a rider.
    If your insurance is agreeable you can build with 2 X 4's verticals spaced 7 ft. apart on mud sills, horizonal ledger's 2 X 6's and 4 / 5 ft wide, cross braceing would be 1 X 4's and decking 2 X 10's 16 ft length,three each per 7 ft. run covered with 1/2 inch plywood.
    All 2 X's nailed with # 16 duplex nails and all 1 X's with # 8 duplex.
    As for metal frames and cost call the local scaffold company and ask for prices on scaffold that can no longer be rental due to defects some rust,dented miss alignment of stack pins and / or age of equipment you can get some good pricing same as if it is scrap metal.

Hold your horses fellas; Homeowners insurance would cover the damage to the home if the scaffolding collapsed less you deductible. It would not cover any injuries to the homeowner him or herself. A paid helper may or may not depending on the policy have any liability coverage or medical pavements coverage so before you guess call your friendly agent....

thats great, its one of the best service
    i like it

Wink Re: 2 x4 scaffolding

Checking the internet about wooden scaffolding, I ran across a page which is hosted by OSHA. I can't post the link as I am new here, but go to www dot OSHA dot gov and in the Construction etool section you hit scaffolding.

Everything you want to know about wood scaffolding is here. Even has some decent drawings. It specs lumber size, dimension etc...

I too was looking for info when I found this TOH post page. Probably not timely enough to help the original blogger, but may help the next man who hits this page.