+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cesspool Fear

Default Cesspool Fear

My family and I live in an area that uses cesspools instead of sewers. We also live in an area where there has been a number of cesspool collapses, some of which with tragic results. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago, some friends of ours woke up one morning to a large sink hole in their yard, the result of an overnight collapse.

Which has my wife (who grew up with sewers) in a state of panic and I'm not far behind her. Especially now that we have two little boys who play in the backyard a lot.

My question is this - is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening or to possibly predict when it will happen? The last time we had the cesspool drained, the technician said it was impossible to predict how long cesspools will last (in fairness, I was asking how frequently we'd need to have it drained, not when it would give way).

I'm assuming it's the original cesspool. We're only in the house between 6-7 years, but the house itself is about 50 years old.

Two more things to keep in mind - everything that can go wrong with this house, does. And we don't have the money right now to dig up the old one and put a new one in.

Default Re: Cesspool Fear

If you know where it is put a fence around it until you can update it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, our cesspool is in the middle of our backyard, so putting a fence around it wouldn't be too practical.

What is you cesspool made of, it may only need the cover replaced. When they pumped it they should have inspected it. At least around here when they pump a septic tank they inspect it to make sure the cover is good and the baffles are in place.
    Jack

One note of warning, in most areas cesspools are not permitted except ones that are grandfathered in. In some areas any work on the cesspool other than pumping will require it's replacement with a septic tank or aerator system. You will have to check local building codes.
    Jack