+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulate knee wall / keep insulation from falling out

I'm trying to finish the room above our garage. The builders insulated, but there is nothing to keep the insulation from being pushed out the back of the wall. Is there a product that can be used to keep the insulation in place, or should i just use plywood or foam backer?
    Currently the plan is to just keep the room as insulated space as opposed to insulating along the roof. This is b/c the insulation is already there and cut to length. Anyone have any strong feelings against this?
    I'm also going to peel off the paper vapor barrier and put plastic vapor barrier so i can eliminate any drafts. Once again, anything wrong w/ this??

Thanks,
    Jason

Default Re: Insulate knee wall / keep insulation from falling out

Are you sure the builder didn't staple the paper tabs to the studs? If not & the insul is falling out you can either get lengths of stiff wire cut to spring fit between the studs to hold the insul or use thin wire stretched over the back of the insulation & studs.
    It might make sense to just staple the tabs to the studs from the backside. If this house is new & the insul is falling out, call back the builder to correct it.
    Any vapor barrier should be on the inside. I would not take out the insulation and remove the facing then put it back. If you do, you'll be hating life for the next few days.

Are you sure the builder didn't staple the paper tabs to the studs?
    I'm fairly sure. I'm not 100% confident, but just like most contractors, the quality of the job isn't fantastic.

If not & the insul is falling out you can either get lengths of stiff wire cut to spring fit between the studs to hold the insul or use thin wire stretched over the back of the insulation & studs.
    It might make sense to just staple the tabs to the studs from the backside.

I could have sworn i saw a mesh product that you would attach to the stud that would hold the insulation in place. That was what motivated me to start looking around. I know that the insulation is moving around and sliding down due to gravity. I just don't know how well the tabs really hold the insul in place. I guess that would be a first experiment.

If this house is new & the insul is falling out, call back the builder to correct it.
    I'd like to, but my 1 year warranty is over, and the builder is more or less out of business.

Any vapor barrier should be on the inside. I would not take out the insulation and remove the facing then put it back. If you do, you'll be hating life for the next few days.
    I am aware of the problems caused by handling insulation, and have no problems taking hte precautions. My real concern with the paper vs a plastic barrier is that the paper doesn't stop the draft. At least if there were gaps in the insulation, the airflow would be stopped.
    I was intending on attaching hte vapor barrier on the drywall side (warm side).

I guess my first course of action is to remove the fire stop plastic and take stock of the condition of the insulation behind it. I can change my plans if necessary. Best part about all that is that i care about the quality of the work i do.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgreen7 View Post
    [I]
    I guess my first course of action is to remove the fire stop plastic and take stock of the condition of the insulation behind it. I can change my plans if necessary. Best part about all that is that i care about the quality of the work i do.
    What is firestop plastic? If you don't have drywall up I would just staple the paper tabs. Whatever you do, taking off the paper won't help.
    I have to add, I don't have a clear idea of what you have or plan to di.

Currently there is no drywall up. The builder told me that code required that there be a firestop? over the insulation. So the contractor put the insulation up, then on the front side of the studs, there is a white plastic stapled up. It certainly is no type of vapor barrier, so i assume that it is something that is intended to slow the spread of a fire.
    I guess if you were unclear about how the room is finished at this point then it would make sense that you were confused about my intent.

What i plan to do is tear out the firestop, repair / fill in gaps in the insualation, make sure that it is stable and stationary, then put up drywall.

My purpose in posting was to get a better feel of how to better insulate that room as it is a few degrees colder (in winter), or warmer than the rest of hte house. I'm sure that some of that is related to the gaps in the insulation, so i'm trying to figure out if there are things that i should correct based on how the room currently is.

Plastic sheeting is not a firestop. Paper faced insulation if that's what you have should be covered because it is flammable and not allowed by most codes. The plastic may be a vapor barrier if installed correctly and a draft stop(not in a fire sense).
    Making sure the insulation is installed correctly then drywalling should help a lot. The rafters above and the limited amount of insulation you can get in them may keep the room from being as warm as you'd like.
    Just closing up the walls and fixing the insul should help.

I had gone behind the wall before with 1Xs and nailed them to the back of the 2X4 studs to keep the insulation in place. Is that something i should keep when repairing the insulation or do you think nailing the tabs will be enough?

I'm a little late to the party, but I think insul mesh is what you were looking for.

Here is a link describing its use with blown in cellulose...

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...MooneyWall.htm

Stapling the tabs should keep the insulation in place. I've also heard of chicken wire used to hold insulation in place, but I don't think you'll need it with stapling.

Here is an update:
    I tore off most of the vapor/ fire barrier in the room. The first thing i noticed was some sizable gaps with really cold air coming through. Should be no problem to fix it. On the vertical wall, there was R19 faced insulation (i live in VA). I think 19 is enough if i can clean up those gaps. on the angled portion of the wall, they moved to r38 faced insulation, mostly. I say mostly b/c there are one or 2 bays where the insulation isn't faced. What should i do here? SHould i replace it w/ faced, or take the vapor barrier and place it over that spot? I don't really feel like the latter is correct.
    On the actual ceiling is really thick unfaced insulation. Does this need a vapor barrier? At this point, should i just correct the gaps in the ceiling and replace the vapor barrier?

Thanks