+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gfic tripping

Default gfic tripping

My daughter bought a house.The yard and pool area are fed by a gfic that's tripping.I know u need a gfi at the pool area,do I need one at the yard lights too??I'm trying to separate the two.
    The wiring is by outdoor buried romex(grey).I find the splices are in a pvc "T" box underground.I'm finding moisture in the boxes.I'm trying to relocate the connection above ground.Can a small amount of moisture cause this tripping??Thanks

Default Re: gfic tripping

Yes moisture in the box can cause a GFCI to trip. undergound splices should be water proof splices. And yes you need a GFCI on any circuits in a wet area like the yard.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusFarcus View Post
    Romex isn't for burial or damp locations.

Pool areas and water features outside such as ponds and fountains have special rules and safety precautions. Design and safety not a job for the average DIYer, call electrician.
    I believe that fact that it's gray indicates that it is UF direct bury cable but the special considerations for water features is a very valid point.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I believe that fact that it's gray indicates that it is UF direct bury cable but the special considerations for water features is a very valid point.
    Jack
    Grey would also tell me its UF cable. I too suspect a moisture problem. Great minds think alike.
    How old is the GFCI? Weather will play havoc on a GFCI, even in the proper inclosure. Just my two cents......

thanks for the reply.if I had my way ,I'd pipe it.The situation is,I'm trying to correct this condition,with a small amount of expense,My plan is to use the grey acceptible romex,and put waterproof boxes at the locations I need them.(above ground).As u say,I need another gfci for the yard.I plan to control the 2 gfci's from two switches using the same line feed,bridging the neutral ,line side, to each gfci and then puting the two different loads on each gfci?ok?
    Also,would like to know,if I can change the gauge to 14 from 12.?(The first 20 feet of the load side is 12)? the load side is no more than 150 watt,,thanks
    Last edited by schlo; 02-17-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: I changed the gfci,the wiring is in the lawn,o/s of the pool area

You can use 14 ga. only if the circuit is protected by a 15 amp breaker. The breaker must be sized to the smallest wiring in the line excluding fixture wiring.
    Jack

thanks,a question outside of my original post..If I was to add an outlet to an existing 12 gauge wiring outlet ,using 14 gauge to the additional outlet,if that acceptible??thanks

Only if the circuit is protected by a 15 amp breaker. The breaker must be sized to the smallest sized wire in the circuit that being the 14 ga if you use it.
    Jack

thanks for the reply,,Am I ok with the way I want to connect the 2 gfi's from the 2 switches?thanks

Yes, although it's a single circuit from the breaker you are spliting it into 2 sub circuits at the switches and can have seperate GFCI's on each sub circuit.
    Jack