+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Interior Trim paint is Yellowing

The trim paint on our baseboards, interior doors and door trim is approximately 20 years old. In areas that are not exposed to sunlight (pocket doors, baseboards, etc., the 'white' paint is yellowing. Is there a solution to correct this without repainting everything? I was told that this is an oil-based paint and that is why it is yellowing. Doors and trim that get normal sunlight are still bright white.

Default Re: Interior Trim paint is Yellowing

Unfortunately, yellowing is the major downside to oil enamels. Some brands do it more than others, but they all do it. Twenty years is a LONG run for any paint without refreshing. Despite this drawback, I still prefer oil over acrylic on fine woodwork. It dries harder and flows out more evenly.

I know of no material which can remove the yellowing, although it is merely on the surface. If you sand it, you will find that the subsurface is still white.

Itís best to either sand or repaint it. There are also some interior paints that are non-yellowing which you can use over the already existing oil paint. Check out the California Paints website for more info.

Modern oil paints are better at not yellowing as much as 20 yr old paints, but they still yellow over time.

After 2 decades a new coat of paint is in order. I'd say you got your money's worth out of that paint job.