+ Reply to Thread

Default Another asbestos question

What if I left the space heater pipe in? If it was asbestos would that be a safe route? Or would the pipe eventually rust and cause problems? My thought was tear out the walls around it to open the space up, then enclose it with wood or brick and make it a column type post. Wondering if that would be safer or if the asbestos would still be a danger being in the house. What about it getting into the soil under the house where the pipe runs downward? Really don't know much on this subject so any info would be helpful.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Another asbestos question

Do you see a possible asbestos looking product? In heating it was used as insulation. It is usually whitish, woven like fabric or fluffy with a plaster covering, sometimes like corrugated cardboard. If you see something that you suspect, get it tested. Then deal with it based on the type it is.
    It may be abandoned and encapsulated in place or abated(removed). Look ****** for picture and better descriptions of what it looks like.

i don't know what state you're in but in mass, if you have asbestos you don't have to do anything if you don't touch it. it's harmless if it's left alone. the ony thing to consider is that if it's in an accessible place, chances are that someone will bump it. grab it, hang something on it or disturb it in any way. that's where the danger is. so if you build something around it or if it's in a place where no one should bother it, then you don't have to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Do you see a possible asbestos looking product? In heating it was used as insulation. It is usually whitish, woven like fabric or fluffy with a plaster covering, sometimes like corrugated cardboard. If you see something that you suspect, get it tested. Then deal with it based on the type it is.
    It may be abandoned and encapsulated in place or abated(removed). Look ****** for picture and better descriptions of what it looks like.
    Took your advice and did some searches on it. Wish I had done it before tearing out part of the wall around it. It's possible I bumped the pipe. I was thinking it was all intact but after getting part of the wall off I found it had holes in it that someone had tried to duct tape shut. I may have caused some dust. I worked for about 4 hours after doing it then left and came home and showered. Hope I didn't bring it with me. I read that it hangs in the air for hours, sometimes days and that amatuer removal can cause contamination of other buildings as well as it can be carried out on shoes and clothes. I'm going to highly recommend to the owner to have it removed by a licensed professional. I also read that if he tries to resell after an amatuer removal there could be legal issues. I'm not going back to work on it til it is professionally removed since I don't want to contaminate my own house. Hopefully he will have the professionals come in anyway, as his house backs up to mine and if he tears it out and hauls it, it definitely is going to get airborne and affect my property too. I was surprised that the cost was fairly low. We have one asbestos removal guy in this area and he said $500 min. to remove and dispose. That's really not that bad for removing such dangerous material.

Did anyone ever realize that the danger of asbestos, in those that had died with asbestos related lung disease, had been working in the stuff, and many for years?

Anyone living in a home today that has had asbestos used, isn't in any danger from contracting asbestos related lung disease as the the media has been shown in those who actually worked, day after day in the dust of asbestos.

Fear of asbestos today has made millions for those who have taken advantage of the fear mongering in the unlearned! Now all these companies who are qualified to remove it, add thousands of dollars of cost to any upgrade to residential, and commercial properties..that might find some asbestos, or lead in some older paint, even if it is under several coats of newer paint!

Fear, fear, fear, it drives a new economy!

Bar.

amen....well said

Quote Originally Posted by barelohim View Post
    Did anyone ever realize that the danger of asbestos, in those that had died with asbestos related lung disease, had been working in the stuff, and many for years?

Anyone living in a home today that has had asbestos used, isn't in any danger from contracting asbestos related lung disease as the the media has been shown in those who actually worked, day after day in the dust of asbestos.

Fear of asbestos today has made millions for those who have taken advantage of the fear mongering in the unlearned! Now all these companies who are qualified to remove it, add thousands of dollars of cost to any upgrade to residential, and commercial properties..that might find some asbestos, or lead in some older paint, even if it is under several coats of newer paint!

Fear, fear, fear, it drives a new economy!

Bar.
    Unfortunate but there are legal issues that go along with it, at least here in Ohio. If I understand it right, you are required to get a licensed asbestos remover, just as I'd have to get a licensed plumber or electrician. I made the mistake of hiring an unlicensed plumber (didn't know you had to have a licensed plumber), who really messed the job up, then tried calling in a licensed plumber to fix it all. He wouldn't touch it, said he'd lose his license. He'd have to redo the ENTIRE job or nothing at all. So, I have really messed up plumbing right now. No vents for the methane gas. And lots of leaks. Sometimes better to go the right route the first time around. As for the asbestos exposure, I already was exposed at another job I worked at as a farm hand. Knocked asbestos down into my face almost daily for over a year. The boss knew it was there but never informed me of it. I'd hate to move someone into a house knowing there may be an asbestos danger there. Better safe than sorry with things like this.