+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Switches

Unhappy Switches

I am about to update my ceiling fans. and the switches control both the light and the van. Do they make a switch that will run of one wire to control both the fan and the light separately? I happened to see a switch that at lowes controls both the fan and light that are adjustable. (the lights dim and it controls the fan speed.) but im not sure if it works off one wire or would i have to just deal with the turning the light on and off by the pull cord from the fan. I am just comfused about the switch set up. I know in like electronic devices you can use one wire and a dual switch to control 2 different things... please help.

Default Re: Switches

I'm not aware of any wired switch that uses a single wire to control the fan and light individually. However, you can purchase wireless remote kits to retrofit an existing ceiling fan. The receiver is installed in the canopy at the ceiling, and it has separate leads for the motor and light. Then you use the remote control for both fan & light, and you don't have to do anything with the wall switch but leave it turned on.

I've seen these kits at Lowe's and Home Depot.

The fan in my house came with the wireless remote and I love it. The remote almost never leaves its holster on the wall, but that's OK. It works great.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.tate614 View Post
    I am about to update my ceiling fans. and the switches control both the light and the van. Do they make a switch that will run of one wire to control both the fan and the light separately? I happened to see a switch that at lowes controls both the fan and light that are adjustable. (the lights dim and it controls the fan speed.) but im not sure if it works off one wire or would i have to just deal with the turning the light on and off by the pull cord from the fan. I am just comfused about the switch set up. I know in like electronic devices you can use one wire and a dual switch to control 2 different things... please help.
    Yes they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Over My Hammy View Post
    Yes they do.
    I would like to see that switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I would like to see that switch.
    Me, too!
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hunter 27189: Fan 2.0 amps; light 300 watts. Two-wire control, no extra wiring controls three fan speeds and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.

Hunter 27186: Fan 1.0 amp; light 300 watts. Complete fan/light operation in a two-wire control - no extra wiring separate buttons for three fan speeds plus instant off and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.

Hunter 27189: Fan 2.0 amps; light 300 watts. Two-wire control, no extra wiring controls three fan speeds and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.

Hunter 27186: Fan 1.0 amp; light 300 watts. Complete fan/light operation in a two-wire control - no extra wiring separate buttons for three fan speeds plus instant off and full-range light dimming. Rocker switchplate not included.
    Requires 2 wires. It may work depending on how the original wiring is run. If power is to the switch box and then to the fan it won't. If the power is to the fan ceiling box and then power and return to the switch it can be rewired to work.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Reading something from Hunter pamphlets is asking to asking a clerk at a big box a question.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Requires 2 wires. It may work depending on how the original wiring is run. If power is to the switch box and then to the fan it won't. If the power is to the fan ceiling box and then power and return to the switch it can be rewired to work.
    Jack
    Yes they do work in both situations. The lower amp fan control is for the newer fans and works with the newest fans with the limiters too.

Yes they do work in both situations. The lower amp fan control is for the newer fans and works with the newest fans with the limiters too.
    Now this is confusing.