+ Reply to Thread

Default What is the best location for my garage refrigerator?

I am getting a garage refrigerator and trying to determine the best location in my garage. I am located in NC and have a standard two car garage. The door in the middle of the back wall of the garage enters the kitchen.

Default Re: What is the best location for my garage refrigerator?

I would imagine that you'd place it so that you're not going to hit it with the vehicles as you come and go, yet is convenient to get to when you need a beer. Or am I missing something in your question?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Be aware that the freezer compartment may not cool properly during cool weather.

Most refrigerators have the temperature sensor in the refrigerator compartment. The cooling coils are in the freezer; cold air is circulated from the freezer compartment to the refrigerator compartment.

In a cool environment such as a garage, the refrigerator will not warm up as quickly, meaning that it won't run as often. Since it doesn't run as often, and when it does it takes less time to cool it down, the freezer compartment doesn't get enough "cooling time" to keep it as cold as you may want.

If you get a fridge that has separate controls for freezer and fridge, you may be able to find a setting that properly balances them -- and you'll need to change the setting between summer and winter.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default What is the best location for my garage refrigerator?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Be aware that the freezer compartment may not cool properly during cool weather.

Most refrigerators have the temperature sensor in the refrigerator compartment. The cooling coils are in the freezer; cold air is circulated from the freezer compartment to the refrigerator compartment.

In a cool environment such as a garage, the refrigerator will not warm up as quickly, meaning that it won't run as often. Since it doesn't run as often, and when it does it takes less time to cool it down, the freezer compartment doesn't get enough "cooling time" to keep it as cold as you may want.

If you get a fridge that has separate controls for freezer and fridge, you may be able to find a setting that properly balances them -- and you'll need to change the setting between summer and winter.
    I was also suppose for it.

Probably best away from the driveway doors to help avoid blown in dirt and gunk building on coils. If possible, turn it toward the walk door so that you can still access if, God forbid, a car was parked in the garage. Be sure to leave breathing room behind.

Save it from dirt is best place, how can we rid on it