+ Reply to Thread
    Native Bostonian relocated to Naples Florida two years ago

Default Looking for Architect to solve tiny kitchen design

My daughter has a 1939 Dutch Colonial with a very small (9x 10) original kitchen. She knows what she wants for fixtures and finishes, but needs help with floor plan. The current layout is unworkable. The scope of the work includes removing and replacing windows, moving a doorway, moving plumbing and gas fittings, rewiring and replacing an entry door and basement stairway.
    The kitchen renovation needs to reflect the period features of the rest of the home.
    Can anyone recommend an architect who might be interested in a project like this?

Default Re: Looking for Architect to solve tiny kitchen design

this isnt the best place to check, check your local phonebook or ask friends who have had renovations done. your better off finding someone local who can not only draw up what you want but is close enough that they can actually do a walk through of the space to get a better idea of what their working with
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Smile Re: Looking for Architect to solve tiny kitchen design

I think you may be barking up the wrong tree unless you are planning to expand the area either through an addition or removal of walls. I retired from being a builder to become a DIY Coach after 35 years as a pro. My process has always been to use an Independent Kitchen Designer and if need be coordinate their efforts with an architect to handle the alterations to the dwelling. This way I own the design and can use a methord known as competive bidding to buy the cabinets and everything else at a good price from reliable sources. If you want to know more detail I suguest you visit a content only website that has six or seven articles about this at www.remodelingreports.com Good Luck!
    Last edited by Jerry Spumberg; 02-17-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Does your daughter still need help? I've gotten a ton of help at That Home Site's kitchen forums. There are a lot of layout gurus there, and obviously their help is free, so it can't hurt to try. I'm too new here for the site to let me post links, but google it (that home site kitchen forum) and you'll get there.

The small kitchen designs must be the best places of your apartment that you have been looking for to solve the problem you are facing now.

I would first sketch out what you want to do, you have probably done this, I would then do some research on what was popular in the 1939 era. Check with the local University to see if they can make suggestions on a firm that does Historic Preservation and renovations. They will give you some places then go see some of their work if possible, places they have renovated, remodeled, or built. Basically if you are Historically correct you will more than likley have ceramic tile countertops, and a little bead-board for your kitchen cabninets., Scalloped trim above the windows and possibly the fridge or stove area. The floor will be linolium tile squares with a contrasting color every other tile. You may be able to find vintage appliances if you decide to go with the old which will sve some space for the fridge area but the stoves from 1939 were large in most homes 42". You would not have any stainless-steel until the 1940's on. I hope this has been some help.