+ Reply to Thread

Default jet pump will not hold pressure

Ok, I'm completely new to plumbing so be gentle please. I recently replaced my jetpump with a new flotec 3/4 horse pumpe running on 110V. After getting all in place the pump will pump up to the desired 50psi and the pressure switch kicks it off. There are no open faucets or anything in the house but the pressure immediately drops to cut-on the pump which it does and repeats. I have a check valve within 5" of the pump in a vertical position. When the pump shuts off I hear what sounds like an air leak but I can't tell for sure where its coming from. It's been suggested that the foot valve in the well (which is shared with neighbor could be bad. My thought is that as long as the check valve I installed just outside the pump is working that it should hold pressure. Am I incorrect here? Any suggestions would be great as I'm really not into paying a plumber tons of money before we even know what the problem really is. If I've left anything out please feel free to ask and I'll describe as needed or even post some pictures.

Tony

Default Re: jet pump will not hold pressure

If the check valve if between the pump and the well your assumption is wrong because there are two lines and one check valve.

If the check valve was between the pump and the pressure tank and working, your assumption would be true.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm sorry I didn't mention that I have only 1 supply line coming up into the house, not 2. The check valve is about 5-6 inches from the suction inlet on the pump.

A jet pump has a suction line and a pump line going to the well and a single line going into the home water supply unless it has an injector installed at the pump. If you have two lines going from the pump to the well a check valve on the suction line will not hold pressure because the water can run out the pump line. If an injector is installed and you only have one line going to the well the check valve if it's working and hold pressure. If you have a shallow well pump it would have one line to the well and one to the house water supply. In this case if the check valve is working it should hold pressure unless there is a leak. If it is a true jet pump installing the check valve between the pump and the household water supply should hold pressure but if the foot valve is bad you may have to prim the pump to get it pumping unless it is a self primming pump.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-17-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb