+ Reply to Thread

Default Prehung interior doors - right or left

How do you know what to buy for prehung interior doors. I have several doors that open in to the room and several doors that open the other way. If the door opens in to the room, is it a right knobed door? if the door opens into the hall way, is it a left knobbed door??

Default Re: Prehung interior doors - right or left

Without more specific location information, the rule of thumb is that a door should open against the wall, meaning the least obtrusive "open" position. As an example, an entry closet that is behind the front door would open against the front door. One would assume that guests would enter, the front door closes, then coats are hung. If a door is in the "middle" of a wall, then it will swing to the nearest side wall, again assuming the least obtrusive "open" position.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Prehung interior doors - right or left

As you stand on the outside facing the exterior side of the door left handed has the hinge on the left and right handed has the hinge on the right , Standard doors open in or toward the interior, reverse doors open out or towrds the exterior.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Wink Re: Prehung interior doors - right or left

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    As you stand on the outside facing the exterior side of the door left handed has the hinge on the left and right handed has the hinge on the right , Standard doors open in or toward the interior, reverse doors open out or towrds the exterior.
    Jack
    I agree with Jack, the only thing I would add is for you to draw a picture the way Jack did showing what you want. Because you now know the correct explanation and what "swing" to call it doesn't mean the sales person your explaining it to does!

Calcats