Default extra 1/2" drywall leaves gap

I was removing the molding from the ceiling and floors of my house when I discovered that the previous owners had installed 1/2" thick drywall. The wall is so thick the stud finder can't find the studs. Well, there's a gap between the wall and ceiling/floor. I don't want to add more molding because the rooms look bigger without it. How do I fix this?

Default Re: extra 1/2" drywall leaves gap

I understand not wanting more crown moulding but I'd suggest a baseboard for esthetics on one hand and also, it's a good idea not to have drywall touching the floor. If you spill something on the floor, the drywall will absorb it like a wick.

Regarding the top by the ceiling, you have a patching task ahead of you. I'd stuff something in the space, until the filler comes close to the surface. Now you can use some quick setting drywall mud (comes in a box, mix with water, and use it quickly). You can get some that gives you about 20 mins of working time.

Fill the crack and smooth it flush with the surface. Be careful not to overfill past the wall surface. It's not easy stuff to sand. When it sets up, you can use standard drywall mud to put a finish coat on the patch. You should use joint tape with the mud or else you'll have a perpetual crack up there if you don't.

If possible, fold the tape and put it in the corner between the wall and ceiling AND cover the bottom of the patch where it meets the wall. You want to cover anyplace you might have a crack later. Use double rows of the tape if you have to. Now just apply 1 or 2 coats of dry wall mud and finish it smooth. You can sand the joints afterwards.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by ma2804; 02-16-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ma2804 View Post
    I understand not wanting more crown moulding but I'd suggest a baseboard for esthetics on one hand and also, it's a good idea not to have drywall touching the floor. If you spill something on the floor, the drywall will absorb it like a wick.

Regarding the top by the ceiling, you have a patching task ahead of you. I'd stuff something in the space, until the filler comes close to the surface. Now you can use some quick setting drywall mud (comes in a box, mix with water, and use it quickly). You can get some that gives you about 20 mins of working time.

Fill the crack and smooth it flush with the surface. Be careful not to overfill past the wall surface. It's not easy stuff to sand. When it sets up, you can use standard drywall mud to put a finish coat on the patch. You should use joint tape with the mud or else you'll have a perpetual crack up there if you don't.

If possible, fold the tape and put it in the corner between the wall and ceiling AND cover the bottom of the patch where it meets the wall. You want to cover anyplace you might have a crack later. Use double rows of the tape if you have to. Now just apply 1 or 2 coats of dry wall mud and finish it smooth. You can sand the joints afterwards.

Good Luck.
    I have over 25 years in the drywall trades and not trying to be argumentive but have never seen a quick set that came in a box all the setting compounds come in a bag and only the redimix comes in a bucket or a box. and some of the quick sets are "easy sand" still not as easy to sand as the redimix but easier then the others. use mesh tape over the fill and then paper tape for the top angle. the paper tape will give you a much crisper angle, and will finish out much better. I still would top off with the redimix though it may have bubbles in it coating over the quick set, so a second coat of redimix may be needed to get a real smooth finish

I've used the crack filler in a box recently, I don't remember the name unfortunately. It works very well for filling large cracks, BUT, mix it in small batches, 'cause when it starts to set, you got a couple of minutes max.

When it's fresh, it's a little soupy and doesn't stick great, when it's starting to set, you can really fill a lot of crack quickly.

This was easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41979_ShRckEasySndJntCmp_z.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	2205