+ Reply to Thread

Default Raidant heat in ceiling

My husband and I want to install an attic access with ladder in our ceiling. We had hired contractors for a bath remodel job and the new access was part of the the job; however, they did not finish the job but did give us back $250. The problem is the contractors sealed up the only attic access and rebuilt a wall over the other access. The house was built early 70's and has radiant heat in the ceiling. My husband said he saw the heat coils under the insulation. I suggested we use a hammer instead of sawing or cutting. This way we can slowly and carefully tap into the ceiling where we want to install the new access panel without cutting a wire. Is there another methodic way to deal with this issue?

Trapped in the attic,

Katt B

Default Re: Raidant heat in ceiling

If the house was built in the early 70's it most likely has drywall on the walls and ceiling. You can use a good sharp utility knife to score around the area where you want to cut out. Go over it several times to score deeply. Then use a hammer to break out a bit of the drywall. You should then be able to pull it down in big pieces. If you are just trying to see where the tubing for the heat is to see if attic access is possible just cut and break out a small hole so you can easily repair it. Having it re piped around the attic access shouldn't be to big a deal though if it needs to be. Hope this helps you out.

Mike