Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
Laminate will hold up the best to dog traffic, but will look the cheapest and have the shortest life span.
Not in my experience and I did flooring installations (and sales) for 35 years.

lovedogs,

Many laminate floors will show scratches from dog claws and the boards cannot be repaired. They can be replaced. Some laminates now come with texturing effects and low gloss finishes and a few will have hardened finishes or wear layers. However, these floors still can't be repaired and the time and expense of replacing them is high. The better qualities of laminates, those with hand s c r a p e d looks and better durability, cost as much as real wood, so why bother?

Tile was mentioned and it is, by far, the most scratch resistant floor. And you can get it in a wood look. There's a picture of one example here in a similar topic on a different forum: http://www.thefloorpro.com/community...-big-dogs.html

No one mentioned Luxury Vinyl Tile. It is mentioned in the above linked topic. I have LVT (Konecto) in my living/dining/kitchen area and love it. I would prefer real wood, but I have health issues that prevent me from attending to spills quickly and they could damage hardwood. I'm remodeling my bedroom and plan to use another brand of LVT, Karndean, in the bedroom and bath. This will be glued down, as opposed to the floating installation of Konecto, and replacements are much easier.

LVT has a very durable surface and wear layer. You walk on LVT when you do your shopping in many grocery chains, Walmarts and other popular stores. They use it because it is that tough.

But again, if I didn't have the health issues, I'd still use hardwood. An attractive hand s c r a p e d or distressed look with lots of character can hide a plethora of traffic mishaps. Even engineered hardwoods can be repaired, some can be refinished, all can be screened and finished. There's just nothing like the warmth and sound of real wood.

If you take a few minutes to register at that website linked above, you can use the search feature. There are over a dozen topics about flooring for dogs. Or start a new one and hear what the many pros have to say about it.

R'gards,

Jim