+ Reply to Thread

Default Refinishing specific hardwood floor locations

We just moved to a house with dark stained hardwood floors with a glossy poly finish. After moving some furniture, the floor was scrapped in a few places. It appears that the dark poly stain peeled off...as if it did not adhere well to the wood. How can I restore these spots to the dark poly. These spots are just a few and are about the size of a half dollar.
    `

Default Re: Refinishing specific hardwood floor locations

With any luck the previous owner left the can of stain behind, otherwise you're going to have to get something custom matched.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    With any luck the previous owner left the can of stain behind, otherwise you're going to have to get something custom matched.
    Mr. Spruce, I have a similar but more extensive problem the described above. My 60 -70 your old home was renovated including the Hard Woods. My wife and I selected an Espresso color finish. The floors are slowly losing the Poly finish and color in high traffic areas but only between the boards.

/Users/christopherlocasciolocascio/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2011/Jan 4, 2011/IMG_0033.jpg

The picture is just one example of
    the problem. We are in the process of renovating the last room upstairs in the house and would like to keep the color the same as the others. Can you offer any suggestions on preventing the problem as we would like to go back and fix the areas were we lost the finish. The application was done by a professional contractor whom has worked with us on my successful projects.

Thanks and feel free to reach me 516-446-7943

Chris & cathy LoCascio

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher LoCascio View Post
    /Users/christopherlocasciolocascio/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2011/Jan 4, 2011/IMG_0033.jpg
    As you can see, a picture on your computer can't be seen by anyone here. Use the upload feature of the message editor to add your image to a reply. Look below the message editor box to see the button, Manage Attachments - or just click the paperclip icon. Locate the image on your computer, click upload and close the window when it's done. Submit your message and there's the picture. It will be thumbnail size, but clicking the picture will open it before your very eyes to all its glory.

Jim Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avatar-adsenseexperts.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	3854

Thank Jim -

Some additional information.

The process for the original finish was as follow:

Ebony Stain

To cover the sins of the older floors with stains etc, Poly shades in Classic Black was applied and two coats of Oil based Satin Polyurethane.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	3855[/HTML]
    Thanks,

Chris

Attached is a second photo of the hall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	3856