+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default How to remove tub faucet stem cover

Hi,

I want to replace the leaky faucet of my bath tub, but I can not remove the stem cover. It seems like the stem cover is part of the stem, since I turn the stem cover the faucet vault can be open and close. I try to pull the stem cover out, but I can not. I wonder if I need a special tool to remove stem cover. Please let know now if anyone has any idea how to remove stem cover. Your suggestion would be appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Alan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faucet.jpg 
Views:	1562 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	158  

Default Re: How to remove tub faucet stem cover

Covers are usually held in place one of two ways, threaded onto the fixture or a set screw, although some of the cheap, cheesy plastic covers just slip fit into place,using friction to hold them.

From your description, your's are probably screwed in place. You said that you're trying to replace the leaky faucet, do you mean that you're trying to change the washers and seals, OR, are you actually trying to replace the fixture?

For replacement of the washers and seals, turn off the water to the house and relieve the pressure by opening the faucet in question. When the water has stopped running:

1. remove the center cap of the handle and remove the screw, pull handle from stem.
    2. Inspect the stem cover inside and out to determine if it's screwed on or held in place by a set screw.
    3. Twist the cover to the left (left = loose, right= tight ) and remove it. If the stem and all comes with it, don't worry, they can usually be repaired as a unit or separated with ease once it's off the wall. If it's held on by a set screw, loosen the set screw and pull the cover off. Sometimes light tapping with a hammer will break free corrosion that will hold things in place. Do not beat on or hit the fixture with any force or you'll damage things.
    4. There is a rubber washer on the end of the stem. Remove the screw holding it in place and change the washer. Depending on the style of the fixture the washer could be flat or cone shaped (looks similar to a drop of water in shape ), and it could be a large or small diameter. Usually the multi-pack washer kits have a selection of both types of washer.
    5. From the back of the nut that holds the stem into the fixture, twist the stem to remove it from the nut. Here you'll find an o-ring. This is something that you'll need to take to match up to the new, take the pieces of the stem and nut with you for test fitting at the store.
    6. Reassemble the valve by reversing the steps used to take it apart and turn the water back on. I personally only turn the water main a turn or two and then go check my work for leaks before giving the main valve the full on treatment. It can save you a huge mess is something went awry.

If instead you did really mean you want to change the entire fixture out for a new one, you've got substantially more work ahead of you, and removal of the stem covers is less necessary, since you'll be tearing out the wall of the shower to get to the plumbing in the wall.

Smile Re: How to remove tub faucet stem cover

Thank you, Spuce for good advice and instruction. I had already been able to remove stem cover and replaced with a new vault.
    Sincerely,
    villa2000

Default Re: How to remove tub faucet stem cover

I have the same faucet. I cannot figure out how to get the stem cover off, if that's what the part is called. The flanged portion that meets the tile unscrews, but the part that the handle screws into will not come off.