+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No vents

Default No vents

I have not vents in my entire house. Most of my fixtures are on exterior walls. I moved into a 140 year old house with dry wall over the lath and plaster. All of the house has blown in insulation. What is the best ways to add vents to all my fixtures?

Default Re: No vents

You must have a vent some were. It would be like holding a finger over a straw, very little water would drain and what did would siphon the trap and you would have sewer gas through out the home.

John

To give you an answer we need a little more info

1- What type of construction is your home? Wood framing? Slab? Pier and beam? One or more stories? Basement? Attic?

2- What is code in your fair city when it comes to vents? How many can you get in one 2 inch line? How close to the vent stack do the fixtures need to be?

3- What are the pipes in your house made from?

4- Does your fair city allow for looping the vent back down or the use of Air Admittance Valves?
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 01-08-2011 at 06:31 PM.

1- What type of construction is your home? Wood framing? Slab? Pier and beam? One or more stories? Basement? Attic?
    It is wood framing with basement that we just poured cement in. 2 stories, all fixtures are on 1st floor. The "attic" has insulation in it. The guts of the framing is notched beams. The floor joist are 12-14" oc.

2- What is code in your fair city when it comes to vents? How many can you get in one 2 inch line? How close to the vent stack do the fixtures need to be?
    I do not know the codes. I live in the country where we don't have to follow codes, which has caused this problem, but I try to follow them as close as possible. The main cast trunk to the septic is vented

3- What are the pipes in your house made from?
    All the drain lines are 1.5" pvc. Looking at the roof their has been no vents since the pvc was added.

4- Does your fair city allow for looping the vent back down or the use of Air Admittance Valves?
    I can do what ever I want. I will compare easy to price and make a decession.

Any thoughts?

The type of home,pipe & codes would have little effect on the system as the results would be the same.

John

Why is it that you think your fixtures have no vents? Are you in the process of remodeling and have the walls open and don't see an vent pipes. If the walls are not open you would not see any of the vent pipes as they all would most likely go into a single vent stack. You said that the main stack is vented so I would guess that all your fixtures vent into that so you only have one stack going through the roof. If your fixtures are all draining properly and the traps are holding water properly they are probably properly vented.

While it is possible for your fixtures all to be vented its highly unlikely. They would have had to run the vents back downward to the basement which would be visible as secondary pipes, or go through the second floor walls to the attic, or go through the first floor ceiling to join them all together.

There is a simple test to see if the kitchen sink if vented; Fill it with water and pull the drain plug. If air bubbles back out of the drain its not vented properly. If it drains well and fast, then you are vented. Tubs generally are self venting. Toilets are usually close enough to the main stack to be vented through the stack.

Do all the pipes disappear into the walls or do the go through the cabinet base into the floor?

The washing machine is the biggest issue. It gurgles and burps into the kitchen sink when it drains. This made me notice that none of the others were vented either. The tub is close to the main's vent so it must be close enough to that the tub will work. All the plumbing runs into the basement and nothing runs out of the roof or into the walls they all go from the floor into the basement.

Then you can use an 'Auto-vent" for the clothes washer. CW's are known for huge amounts of water coming out quickly, and venting is great for them. Above the trap, add a T to the waste line. Bring the riser pipe a foot or so above the inlet where the CW hose level is. Install your auto-vent there. They screw into a female threaded adapter, and are 2" diameter, made for such applications.

Home Burrito carries auto-vents in the plumbing section. They are usually black plastic, about the size of a 8 oz drinking cup.

The vent goes before the trap not after it.

John