+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oven outlet

Default oven outlet

I bought a new oven a year ago and the back of it is different from the previous one. The old one had a cavity back there that the outlet sat in but the new one has a full backing on it so the outlet blocks it from sitting flush to the wall. The bottom 2 feet of the wall is unfinished so the outlet is easily accessible but I don't know if it is a good idea to move it. Of course I would shut it off at the box before I even think about doing it. Any ideas?

Default Re: oven outlet

Is there a reason not to move it?
    "Lead by Example"

Most stoves / ovens allow you to have the outlet/plug protrude for the bottom 5.5" of wall space. Some fancy stoves give you less room to work with than that.

If your wires extend up from the lower floor space, then lowering the outlet is a fairly simple procedure of cutting a new hole and lowering the wire. You may have to remove a larger section of drywall to expose the heavy wire and remove the staple holding it.

If your wire is too short to reach the desired new location, then you'll need to either replace the entire wire (best choice) or make a junction box near or at the old site, then add new wire to the new outlet. The junction must be accessible and can't be buried in the wall cavity behind the drywall. You may find the splicing of the wire to be beyond what is normally handled by homeowners. If the wire is too thick to allow for wire nuts/twist caps to be used (varies by local code) then the connections are best made by a licensed and insured professional. Home fires can be caused by poorly made electrical connections.

the outlet is not blocked by drywall so the length of the wire might hold me back. My neighbor was going to help (he was an electrician with GM before they closed the plant down here). He said that I might not be able to move it myself but didn't say why before he got cancer real bad. Maybe today I will pull out the stove and see what the deal is. it probably needs to get cleaned back there anyway

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Most stoves / ovens allow you to have the outlet/plug protrude for the bottom 5.5" of wall space. Some fancy stoves give you less room to work with than that.

If your wires extend up from the lower floor space, then lowering the outlet is a fairly simple procedure of cutting a new hole and lowering the wire. You may have to remove a larger section of drywall to expose the heavy wire and remove the staple holding it.

If your wire is too short to reach the desired new location, then you'll need to either replace the entire wire (best choice) or make a junction box near or at the old site, then add new wire to the new outlet. The junction must be accessible and can't be buried in the wall cavity behind the drywall. You may find the splicing of the wire to be beyond what is normally handled by homeowners. If the wire is too thick to allow for wire nuts/twist caps to be used (varies by local code) then the connections are best made by a licensed and insured professional. Home fires can be caused by poorly made electrical connections.
    Yes you are right in making choice...........that would be one of the best solution...