+ Reply to Thread

Default where to put outlets in a new workshop

...a huge work bench with several outlets and a utility sink. Under the sink there...that he used the garage to wash things and use it as a workshop that is why there ...room and two rooms down in the basement and that bathroom...

Default Re: where to put outlets in a new workshop

best bet post a picture to better clarify it.

however best bet is to figure out what tools you will be using and where in the space specific tools will be used. from there you can better locate outlets and specify them being 110 or 220 for tools that require more juice to run
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanettes View Post
    ...a huge work bench with several outlets and a utility sink. Under the sink there...that he used the garage to wash things and use it as a workshop that is why there ...room and two rooms down in the basement and that bathroom...
    According to the 2011 Code: only one ground fault current interrupter receptacle (GFCI) is required in an unfinished basement.

But, every receptacle you install must now be GFCI protected.

Even if the basement is finished all 120V receptacles within six feet of the edge of a sink must be GFCI protected.

In answer to your question I try to have a duplex receptacle every two feet above a workbench since I like to leave chargers, drill press, wireless phones, radio, bench grinders etc plugged in all the time. Plugging/unpluging is the most common cause of tool cord failure.

I've never had anyone say they hace too many outlets in a workshop.

In my workshop I also have outlets located on the underside of the work bench, at the front edge. Sort of where your belt buckle winds up when you stand at the workbench. These are designed to be used when I am plugging in some special tools to be used such as a shop vac, compressor, or other portable tool not always plugged in.

Outlets near doors are great too for use when juice is needed outside the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    In my workshop I also have outlets located on the underside of the work bench, at the front edge.
    I'm still kicking myself for not doing that. I frequently use a Dremel and a soldering iron, both have a very short cord and both are a PITA to use with the cord d****d across the work piece.

Note to self, next time put an outlet in the knee well of the bench!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Plus,

When stuff is all stacked in front of the wall outlets, the ones at the edge of the workbench are always easy to get to.

I have them every few feet, and on the ends. I think I use them the most.

Be sure to use the "pro grade" outlets. They are much more durable than the 79 cent ones in the big bin. Since you'll be using them a lot, you don't want them wearing out any time soon.

As to the original post: I had a really hard time understanding it. It appears to be random but somewhat related ramblings. It looks like cut-and-paste by some spam engine (their AI is getting smarter!). To the original poster, I apologize in advance if I have mistook you for a machine.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.