+ Reply to Thread

Default Need advice on heating a 500 Sq Ft space

Hello,

I have about 500 Sq Ft of space to heat. 15' X 35'. Was thinking of a garage heater (5000 Watt 240V). Basicly a room with windows and a door on one wall. The other 3 walls are shared walls. Can't make any holes to vent thru ceiling. Do I have any other options or electric the only way to go?

Also, no AC or Heating unit of any kind is installed.

Thank You

Default Re: Need advice on heating a 500 Sq Ft space

Is there a reason you can't go thru the ceiling?? Do you have a basement under that room?? If you have no basement and you can't go thru the ceiling a multi head Ductless Heat pump would be an option. Good Luck!!

I heated my cottage with about the same square footage for 8 years with one of those ventless gas heaters used in garages. I've been using an electric fireplace with some space heaters for about 2 years now. I bought the fireplace at Lowes for about $200. The house is all electric. The bill runs about $300 a month in the winter.

I have heard good things about radiant floor heat. You could use electric with a thermostat in that room. This would keep your feet nice and toasty.

Just remember that Radiant heat is supposed to be on all the time in order to be efficient . As dennistonnate say's Electric Radiant is another option for sure but when you talk electric your talking $$$. On the flip side you never know what the future will bring as far as Heating costs go, I'm sure that most have heard the $5.00 per gallon gas prices that could happen in a couple years. With out a doubt all fuel prices will be going up by then so who knows, maybe electric is the way to go. $300.00 per month for 500 sq. ft kind of scares me though. The choice is yours, just do some research and get the best deal with the research you do. Good Luck !!!

What is your location? How are the walls/floor/ceiling insulated? How high is the ceiling? That can make a difference on your heater selection.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.