+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Trouble getting an estimate on AC install

Hello,

I have a shop that needs air conditioning installed. Here is the problem, picture a horse shoe. Now picture my shop is the center hole of the horse shoe. The horse shoe it self would be two other shops. In other words I am surrounded by other shops on three sides. There is about 60' from my back wall to the back wall of the building and apartments above, not being used. I am in a historic building, so the city has told us no holes in the walls, buildings back wall already has openings and we can make an opening in our backwall as it is not an exterior wall. I have called 6 different places, 3 showed up I have been told they are working on the estimate (it's been 2 months already) 1 showed up and just stared at the place, from across the street, for 20min and never came in. The others never bothered to contact us.

Is it really that hard to install an AC unit in this type of situation? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do?

Btw, we don't want a swap cooler. Located in central CA

-Thank You

Default Re: Trouble getting an estimate on AC install

Flat roof?
    "Lead by Example"

It is a flat roof, but we have been told that since apartments, even though they are not being used, are above the shop we can't go them.

If you are not allowed to run a vertical 6" x 6" pipe chase for electrical and refrigerant lines down the corner of a closet, and six a/c contractors won't give you a bid in this economy, it would seem your problem is with the building owner.
    "Lead by Example"

ZZZ,

Thank You. That's what I was thinking, but I don't know anything about A/C.

if a contractor is taking that long to get back to you they dont want to touch the project, more often than not. one of two reasons they are too busy with larger scale projects or your project screams "can of worms" and they dont want the headaches
    fire up the saw and make some dust

At this location, you may be stuck with portable A/C units, which can be costly to operate. They too have a heat output which you now need to overcome or vent away. Other choices include new landlord there or elsewhere.