+ Reply to Thread

Default Air Flow Thru Outlets

I have a newer constructed home. In the winter on windy days I can feel air flow thru my outlets on exterior walls. I installed those insulation kits that go behind the outlet covers but I can still feel the airflow thru the slots where the plug enters.
    Why does this happen and what can be done?

Default Re: Air Flow Thru Outlets

sounds like the electrician forgot to put bags on the boxes. the bags are so that a proper seal can be formed around boxes when the vapor barrier goes up . or if the outlets are the gasket type the gasket was damaged when the drywall was installed
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    sounds like the electrician forgot to put bags on the boxes. the bags are so that a proper seal can be formed around boxes when the vapor barrier goes up . or if the outlets are the gasket type the gasket was damaged when the drywall was installed
    Another fix is to caulk the openings in the boxes (you can use any inexpensive caulk). This requires shutting off the p0wer to any circuits entering the box and removing any devices (switches and outlets). Plastic boxes are much easier to seal than metal boxes because there are fewer holes and no seams. This task is best done by an electrician or someone familiar with electrical wiring, since it may require disconnection of wires to complete.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 01-08-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Caulking the openings in the boxes is a good fix. There are these devices also.

http://www.goodcommonsense.net/oulise.html

I am more concerned that air is blowing through the wall of a newer home, it sounds like something wasn't sealed up properly.
    "Lead by Example"

Perhaps your Outlets is not enough tight.You find something stopped them.

Great Stuff and other foam sealers are UL approved and available at Home Depot for $6 a can. Just a touch at the point the wires enter the boxes is all that's needed.

Caution too much will force the box out of the wall!

This is now required on all outside wall electrical boxes, per 2009 IECC, which many electrical inspectors are enforcing, to continue receiving federal money.

Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com