+ Reply to Thread

Default How to grout and seal these decorative tiles

My wife just purchased these decorative tiles made of terra cotta. Anyone here can tell me what kind of grout and sealer to use? The tiles are handmade so they are somewhat irregular from piece to piece. Even grout spacing is not much of an issue.

Default Re: How to grout and seal these decorative tiles

Hey gsm223,

This is Mr. Jay with The Home Depot out in Chicago. Nice choice on the tiles, they look really cool from what I saw up on the website

For something decorative like that, I would recommend getting a non-sanded type grout. That's good for joint sizes 1/8in or smaller, and isn't quite as abrasive as it's sanded counterpart. With the spacing being different, it will really have that natural look. You shouldn't have any trouble floating it in.

The sealer really depends on both what you're sealing as well as how long you want it to be sealed. If the tile is already pre-sealed, then you just have to worry about the grout. Terra Cotta is usually a porous tile, so make sure that it doesn't need to be sealed first.

Most tile shops also carry sealers in different warranty levels as well, meaning how long on average till you have to reseal it. I'd invest in a decently warrantied one (20yr or so), since it is definitely worth the money.

Hope that helps you out, but feel free to ask any other questions that pop up~

Welcome,

Where are these tiles going? Interior? Exterior? wet areas? Backsplash?

Whay Jay said above plus;

If the surface of the tile is glazed, then a sealant for the tile istelf isn't needed, just the grout does. If the glazing has tiny cracks in it, then seal the tiles and the grout.

I prefer Miracle 511 or Aqua mix Sealers Choice as they are not waterbased and gives a better level of protection.

Mapei Keracolor S is a premium-grade premixed, polymer-modified sanded Portland-cement tile grout that requires only the addition of water for mixing. It will grout joints from 1/8" (3 mm) to 5/8" (19 mm). Keracolor S meets or exceeds ANSI A118.6 requirements.