+ Reply to Thread

Question Cracks on all my walls, growing in numbers!

I just bought my first house in October, 2010. I have been living there for 2 months now and every week there is a new crack on at least one of the walls in the house in the paint. The house was built in the 1940's and was a quick flip. We had a home inspection and he said the foundation is fine. Could the cracks be forming because of poor quality paint that was used by the seller? Or is this something structural? What do I do? If I repaint the walls will the cracks just come back?

Default Re: Cracks on all my walls, growing in numbers!

Newbie,

Paint film is only a couple mils thick. Any cracks that were strictly in the paint would appear as hairline cracks. Structural cracks go much deeper and would typically appear at stress points such as in corners, over door openings, along archways and beams etc.

Are there signs of past patching such as tape becoming exposed? I suspect that the former owner may have just surface patched without raking out the crack and then merely putting a little patching compound over it.

At this point, you have to open up the cracks, rake them out with an inverted "v" , dampen the plaster and then fill with patching compound. Personally, I like patching with "hot mud".
    Hot mud is a dry mix drywall joint compound which dries chemically. It adheres well to the surrounding surfaces and sands easily. Dura-Bond Easy Sand is one such brand. It is available at any paint store or big box store. I would probably bridge the gap with drywall tape, either paper or fiberglass. I prefer the fiberglass. After patching and sanding, spot prime the patch and then spot paint or paint the entire wall. You will get better results by painting the whole wall. Spot painting rarely is totally invisible.

If you have no visible signs of foundation cracks, you will probably not have too much further problems. A house of this age will have finished settling and your patches should hold.

Default Re: Cracks on all my walls, growing in numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie12 View Post
    I just bought my first house in October, 2010. I have been living there for 2 months now and every week there is a new crack on at least one of the walls in the house in the paint. The house was built in the 1940's and was a quick flip. We had a home inspection and he said the foundation is fine. Could the cracks be forming because of poor quality paint that was used by the seller? Or is this something structural? What do I do? If I repaint the walls will the cracks just come back?
    The key work maybe qiuck-flip?
    If the walls are plaster as Ordjen stated and the wrong repair material was used over plaster, when you moved in and used the A/C or heat the moisture in the existing plaster reacted with the repair material like surface srinkage and base material expansion.
    If the above is correct the cracks will look like a road map.