Default Ductwork Insulation

I own an older home (73yrs) thats all brick and has ductwork in the basement and also in the garage. All space is unfinished and was wondering what I could do to help improve effeciency? Is there a preferred type of duct insulation that is recommended and what about sealing the seams?

Default Re: Ductwork Insulation

Anything? ....

I have an 170 year old home with uninsulated ducts. I am planning to wrap and insulate them myself. I believe that you can buy the padded insulation at any lumber yard, builder supply place and even Home Depot and Lowes. I also have learned that it is important to butt each section against the last one so that there are no gaps, then tape them together with aluminum tape, not duct tape. Try not to compress the insulation or its insulating value goes down.

Before you insulate the ducts, you'll want to apply duct mastic to all of the seams and joints to seal them up. It's made just for that purpose. The easy way to apply it (so I've heard) is to don some rubber gloves and just smear it on with your hands.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

You can also use the foil tape on the duct seems. If you have the room you can also use the foam board insulation with foil covering. Again use foil tape not "duct" or "duck" tape.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: Ductwork Insulation

For my 2 cents worth , I live in a house that is unheat basement 60ft long 26ft wide , We put in two furances one at one of the house and one at the other end , works fine . With the duct work on the old furance i cleaned all the duct work joints and use duct insulation blankets for the heat ducts , used alot of insulation and tape . but it sure made a differents in the heat going up instead of staying in the basement . , Hamm8 NS.