+ Reply to Thread

Question Framing in to a rock floor-need advice

Have small roofed over back porch 10x16 and want to close it in with as much glass as possible, but not sure how to secure framing or block to the rock floor with out drilling. The rock is quite hard and aprox. 3"s thick. Currently the roof over is just supported by three 4X4's that just sit on top of the rock. Need to establish a more secure base if I intend to close it in. Just feel like drilling the rock is going to be a major job. Would setting one or two courses of block with just mortor be advisable. These walls could see 40 or 50 mph winds.

Default Re: Framing in to a rock floor-need advice

Have you ever used a hammer drill? The rock though hard may still be easily drillable.

Default Re: Framing in to a rock floor-need advice

Depending on how hard, level and secure the rock is, you might not be able to build galss walls over it. It might crack.

If you believe it will support the weight you are considering, then you might want to drill holes in it, and anchor sill bolts in it with concrete, or epoxy. With the winds you are mentioning, you'll want this thing anchored solidly.

If it were mine, I'd pour a real foundation around the slab, and maybe use a concrete cutting saw to reduce the size of the rock slab to maintain the roof dimensions.