+ Reply to Thread

Default loud noise in furnace after heater comes on

I have a loud noise that is drowning us out in our house. We have a forced air furnace.

When the furnace comes on the first sound we hear is similar to an idling car. Then a loud vibration sound starts. Fairly regular, but not entirely. Then you can hear the gas ignite and finally the blower. That second sound is really the problem though. It drowns everything out. It seems to be related to a little turbine-looking wheel that spins in the furnace.

Also, our heater seems to come on A LOT. We have an electronic thermostat and I swear the heater goes on and off every 5 minutes.

Thoughts?

-J

Default Re: loud noise in furnace after heater comes on

You need to have a tech come & look at your furnace. Fuel fired furnaces, especially newer high efficiency units, which it sounds like you have, can be complex and potentially dangerous.

Sounds like you have a loose access panel on your furnace, which could explain why your furnace runs all the time.

Also, the pulley on your blower could be loose.

Same thing happened to me. It's the exhaust blower. Had a furnace tech check it out. It's not dangerous. Something is vibrating in your unit. Sometimes you can silence it by pushing and pulling parts of the furnace structure until the vibration stops. Eventually you'll have to replace the blower. Very expensive. This has been happening to me for two years.
    Last edited by john f; 01-28-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Im with john on this one. i had to replace the wheel on mine a few months ago. lucky for me i knew the tech and he had a spare one laying around. otherwise he told me the blower is in the neighborhood of 400 dollars. Good luck