+ Reply to Thread

Default Correcting Ice Damming

I've posted two photos below that illustrate the magnitude of my icicle formation and possible ice damming.

In July 2009, I purchased new gutters for my house at a considerable cost. These were a one-piece, nationally sold system that is guarenteed not to clog. Last winter and again this winter, I have had huge icicles forming on the front and back of my house, some as long as 9 feet. I've also seen iced several inches thick. I'm sure there is ice damming going on. This wasn't a problem until 2009/2010 winter and this year.

The gutter company says it is not the gutters but a lack of insulation in the attic. You can see in the photos that snow remains on the roof and there are roof vents on the back side of the house. I cannot add more insulation because I don't have an attic...the interior ceiling follows the roof line.

The gutter company website says, "Several factors contribute to the forming of ice dams on a roof. The primary cause however is poor attic insulation and ventilation. This causes ice and snow to melt as a result of heat radiating from underneath the roof and then freezing again once the run-off water reaches a colder surface area i.e. an overhang, a gutter cover or a leaf protection system. This process can lead to the forming of icicles on these surfaces."

I paid for these gutters with an inheritance and do not have the money to experiment to see what works. These gutters came with the Good Housekeeping guarantee.

These gutters form a serious threat to anyone nearby. Large chunks have fallen that were several inches thick and several pounds. (Look above the back door.)

What should I/could I do to fix this situation? What type of person should I hire to fix this: a roofer, gutter installer, electrician to put in some type of snow-melting system?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Icicles Front.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	3833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Icicles Back.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	3834  

Default Re: Correcting Ice Damming

the gutter company is correct, rain gutters have nothing to do with ice damming, its caused by inssufficient insulation up in the attic at the eaves,

your losing to much heat where the roof meets the outside wall, because of this any sitting snow up on the roof at this location is melting then refreezing. either contact an insulation company or pick up a few bundles of insulation and add insulation out near the eaves. just make sure not to have it packed so tight that its hard up to the underside of the roof sheathing. you need an a small airspace here so to prevent the roof sheathing from rotting out and getting hot roof
    fire up the saw and make some dust