+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy laminate counter top water damage

I hope you might be able to recommend a way that I can repair the underlayment (or backing board) of a water damaged laminate counter top (actually it's the backsplash).

My laminate backsplash (just beneath the kitchen window) became wet. The particle board backing (underlayment) became wet and absorbed the moisture.
    The particle board swelled thus causing the laminate to bulge. Both the laminate and backing board are now bulged.

How do I repair this mess? I need to know what I must do to flatten both the laminate layer and the backing board (particle board).

Let me know your recommendations.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Default Re: laminate counter top water damage

Hi. I've been working with laminate countertops for the past 20 years. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. Once particle board gets wet it swells and there is no way to get it to go back to normal. The nature of the beast. I hate to tell you this, but you are going to have to replace it. Make sure the back splash is SCRIBED to the wall so there are no large gaps and then a nice waterproof caulking especially under the window to prevent it from happening again.

Another tip, if you have a dish washer, never open the door until the cycle is complete, and it's had a chance to cool off a bit. The heat and moisture from the dishwasher can cause this same thing to happen on the front of a countertop.

Quote Originally Posted by Capellam44 View Post
    Hi. I've been working with laminate countertops for the past 20 years. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. Once particle board gets wet it swells and there is no way to get it to go back to normal. The nature of the beast. I hate to tell you this, but you are going to have to replace it.
    X2, sorry.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Repairing the counter top in just easy. You just need to have the proper equipments, like Adhesive remover, Wood piece, liquid cement or glue, and hammer.