+ Reply to Thread

Default Trim/Siding Install and Paint Order

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to put an addition onto my home in the near future and having the bulk of the work being performed/organized by a general contractor. He is allowing me to handle all of the painting to help save a little money.

I'm having HardiePlank (pre-colored) with painted wood trim installed. Does anyone have any opinions on when it's best to paint the trim and what order (trim or siding first) they should be installed?

nova scotia, canada

Default Re: Trim/Siding Install and Paint Order

for harti plank pretty, you pretty much always have to install the trim before hand as teh siding buts up to the trim directly, harti doesnt expand and contract so you only need the peices cut 1/8 slack to allow for a proper caulking joint. in some instances i will make up false trim with some 2x stock incase im missing a door which is still on order. the 2x has to be the exact same width as the trim you will be using

as for painting, i always put one coat of paint on the trim before it goes on the wall so to clean it up a bit for odd spots which will be to difficult to get at later. then when the wall is complete we put another finish coat on to clean it up even more and cover pencil marks for siding layout. once that dries we caulk everything and tear down the scaffold and move to the next wall. just remember one very important thing is to paint all cut edges to seal them as installing,then run a bead of color match caulk at all joints to seal them that much better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boyd1 001.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	3828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deck column.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	3829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dugg8.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	3830  
    fire up the saw and make some dust