+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ceiling fan(s) in cathedral ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by hvhehcca View Post
    The myth is energy savings. Yes moving the air will make you more comfortable but will also cause your heating plant to short cycling which reduces its efficiency. Your also moving cooler air to the floor not hotter air. Your also increasing the infiltration which increases heatloss.

I agree with you that it will increase your comfort in the room just don't expect considerable or any fuel savings.
    If hot air rises how could the ceiling fans be pushing cool air towards the floor???

A heating plant is a combustion engine not really any different then your car. Go on short trips what happens your fuel mileage is decreased. Go on the highway and it increases.

A heating appliance in general does not get to it's steady state efficiency or it's AFUE without a run time of between 6-10 minutes. Anything less you short cycle the burner.

You want long burner cycles not short burner cycles. Also by moving the air faster you increase the rate of that particular rooms heat loss though windows, doors or any infiltration point.

I agree that it will provide better comfort but any real savings no.

Sten your not pushing hot air your pushing cooler air. As you increase the convection you are cooling the down the air. The colder air falls quicker.
    Last edited by hvhehcca; 01-06-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hvhehcca View Post
    A heating plant is a combustion engine not really any different then your car. Go on short trips what happens your fuel mileage is decreased. Go on the highway and it increases.

A heating appliance in general does not get to it's steady state efficiency or it's AFUE without a run time of between 6-10 minutes. Anything less you short cycle the burner.

You want long burner cycles not short burner cycles. Also by moving the air faster you increase the rate of that particular rooms heat loss though windows, doors or any infiltration point.

I agree that it will provide better comfort but

What makes you think it will Shortcycle??? People have been using ceiling fans for years to keep the warm air down out of a cathedral ceilings. Could you learn me about this, it sounds interesting ??