Default Replacing a fuse panel.

Hello all,
    I am planning to replace the fuse panel (circa 1950s) in my 1927 Dutch Colonial. Is there anyway to tell what amperage the drop to my house can carry. My neighbor was an engineer at the electric company many years ago and tells me it's triplex but he hasn't given me an indication of what kind of load it will supply. Any ideas?

Chris

Default Re: Replacing a fuse panel.

Call you electric company, they should be able to tell you. 1950's, probably a 60 amp service unless it had been updated.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

if you're going ot be changing over the box you should get a new line dropped from the power source. if it's still the original one it's probably cracking and not the safest thing you could have. plus it's cheaper to have both done at the same time than to have a new line dropped after the new box is installed be it 6 months or 3 years from now.

Thanks for the replies. I am sure the drop isn't original. It looks like it has been installed in the last 20 years. I checked out the panel and it looks like it's 60amps however their is a subpanel with breakers right next to it so I am at a loss. I guess I'll contact the electric company and see what they have to say. I have an electrician who is going to help me change the panel and meter socket out. Thanks again.