+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do electrical fires start in the home?

Have you ever seen an electrical fire? Can a person start an electrical fire? How do you prevent electrical fires? Any info. would be appreciated.

Default Re: How do electrical fires start in the home?

Electrical fires can have several possible causes, such as:
    • Damaged insulation (allows current leakage, which can ignite the materials it comes in contact with)
    • Damaged conductors (frayed wires in cords -- creates a high-resistance point that overheats)
    • Overheated wiring (overloaded circuits or cords covered with rugs so heat cannot dissipate)
    • Poor connections (loose screw on an outlet; similar to the frayed cord example)

Why do you want to know? Are you planning on starting one?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Interesting. A person named Ghandira asked the question on Yahoo Answers 4 years ago. It sounds the same. Their account is closed at this time.

Resolved QuestionShow me another
    How do electrical fires start in the home?
    Have you ever seen an electrical fire? Can a person start an electrical fire? How do you prevent electrical fires? Any info. would be appreciated.
    "Lead by Example"

Well, I thought that maybe it was a spammer that was unsuccessful in posting the links to their rip-off site.

The original question seemed a little bit random.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

sounds to me like someone wants to start their house ablaze!! You could start it ablaze pretty easy too!!

Howdy, houses burn from a variety of sources consider contacting a good fire and arson investigator for additional information- I utilized their services on numerous house burnt claims over the years. A word of advice if your planning on burning your home for hope of insurance $$ - reconsider the outcome of getting caught includes no $ and life in a cell.

If you are considering burning down your house (or someone else's) there are a number of back up safety systems and materials used to prevent a house from catching on fire in the first place and then staying on fire once the fire has started. Good examples are circuit breakers / fuses (which trip when shorted to stop the flow of electricity) and the size of, and need for junction boxes. The junction boxes are limited in size to restrict the amount of available air to feed the fire, so the fire dies out.

If you have genuine concerns about a dangerous house, every fire dept I know of offers free inspections and literature. They are the one outfit that does NOT want you as a client. They will often send out an inspector to go over your home and make a variety of suggestions, some of which have nothing to do with electricity, like storing flammable liquids near flame sources.

I can think of ways -- which I will not list here -- that an electrical fire could be intentionally caused yet be extremely difficult to detect as intentional in an investigation. Standard protective devices cannot protect against all possible failures. Suffice to say that it *could* be done, but there is no way to guarantee that it could never be proven as arson.

There are better ways to get ahead in life or to express your displeasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post

There are better ways to get ahead in life or to express your displeasure.
    Apparently in our area this winter the preferred method is to put your wood stove ashes in a paper/plastic trash bag and then sit them on your wood deck. Three such fires in the last month...geniuses!

My personal favorite accidental fire is to use the deep fat fryer for the Thanksgiving Day turkey. Each year about 20 homes are burned down that way. Apparently measuring the oil is beyond what some folks can manage.