+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy toilet installation in basement of 60 yr old house

toilet in basement bathroom of 60 yr old house appears to have been installed directly onto concrete floor, that is, no flange that i can see, just the two bolts protruding from the concrete floor. so when the toilet is off, all you can see is the hub of the 4 inch cast iron pipe. i got one of those pvc flanges which are supposed to tighten into the 4 inch cast iron pipe, but it doesn`t reach past the hub, which of course is too big for this adaptor to work. any ideas other than breaking up the floor to cut off the flange?
    thanks
    gerry

Default Re: toilet installation in basement of 60 yr old house

The purpose of the flange is to provide an attachment for the toilet bolts the bolts set in the concrete accomplishes this without the flange.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

When you re-set the toilet, if you use a wax ring with a plastic extension, I would think that you'd be OK. If the bolts are still good, that's what I'd do.

I have seen where there IS a flange, but it's set in the concrete and not (very) visible. That is, it's not raised above the floor like it would be in a wood-framed floor.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

i would install a new pvc flange. the flange in conjunction with a wax ring is what keeps the air tight seal between the waste pipe and the toilet. since you have a hub directly under the toilet you can get a short length of pvc, pack it with oakum, and apply plastic soil pipe sealer instead of lead. then you can just glue your flange on and attach it to the floor.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by hippified View Post
    i would install a new pvc flange. the flange in conjunction with a wax ring is what keeps the air tight seal between the waste pipe and the toilet. since you have a hub directly under the toilet you can get a short length of pvc, pack it with oakum, and apply plastic soil pipe sealer instead of lead. then you can just glue your flange on and attach it to the floor.

good luck
    This is totally unnecessary and a waste of material and time in this situation.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb