+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete Slab Floor

We bought an old cottage. We gutted the inside - throwing out the drywall, insulation, carpeting, etc. The cottage is on a slab. What kind of a floor do you recommend on a slab? What kind of insulation? We want to avoid cold floors in the winter. Do you recommend a heated floor? Any problems? Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Concrete Slab Floor

if you're going with carpeting, floating wood floor or vinyl you might want to consider puting down DriCore as a sub floor over the concrete. it will warm the space up alot and make it comfortable underfoot.

I have a similar situation with a den (old coverted porch) over a concrete slab that I want to redo. We originaly had carpet pad directly over the concrete. It was cold.

Now we're thinking of putting dricore down and then laminate flooring with an area rug.

Do you think DriCore is probably the best solution in terms of warming the floor without any major reconstruction?

Ive seen other products such as ComfortBase.

alot of it has to do with how much headeroom you have. ideally, it would be nice to install some rigid insulation over the concrete floor and a new plywood sub floor over that but you could easily eat up 3" or more of room height.

I have similar concerns, the entire house i rent (in CA) is on a slab, I ahve thought about putting down on of the Roberts products,either the Airguard, or 2 in 1 underlayment, and then carpet on top, although i understand the product is actually for woood floors. any thoghts?