+ Reply to Thread

Question Problem replacing bathroom vanity that has dimmer switch

The task was to replace a bathroom vanity light.

Before removal of the old light, the dimmer switch worked correctly. I didn't touch the dimmer switch.

After removal, the wall wires consisted of one ground wire, two white wires spliced together, two black wires spliced together and a red wire. My problem is I don't recall where the red was attached in the old installation.

The new light has a white wire and a black wire along with a ground. The instructions that came with the new lamp say connect white to white and black to black. There is no mention of a red.

When the circuit breaker is turned back on - the light is on and won't turn off by the switch.

Next, I attempted ton include the red with the black but got the same results.

What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Problem replacing bathroom vanity that has dimmer switch

sounds like ***** is running through the box.. The red wire is your switch wire back from the dimmer. So you need to wire nut the two existing black wires together by themselves. then shove them back in the box. now splice the existing red wire to the new black wire on your vanity light. should be good to go!

Thumbs up Re: Problem replacing bathroom vanity that has dimmer switch

Sparky1, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I just tried this and it worked.
    You have made my day and you have saved me a lot of time and money.

All the best...