+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kitchen Remodel

Default Kitchen Remodel

Hey Everybody, I have done a little remodeling novice style in my 1905 home in Virginia. My latest project is the one that is really kicking my butt. I decided to strip the paint from the built in cabinets. These things were built right in place and I thought it would be more cost effective to strip and poluyurethane. It has already been 9 months since I started. I have gotten the cabinets 90% stripped, the checkerboard wallpaper stripped off, repaired a few rough places on the walls and painted will Kilz. Once I finish the cabinets, the countertop needs to be replaced and I'm not sure how to measure for a new one and then the last thing will be to replace the flooring. As you can see, the old is vinyl 12x12 squares that are still very secured to the subfloor. One problem is that the floor slopes towards the sink from about the middle of the room. What is the best way to maybe take some of that slope away before laying new sheet vinyl? Am going to try to add some pictures. I really like when others add pictures. It really lets you see what they are talking about and maybe even get some great ideas. The kitchen section was added on to the house decades after it was built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KitchenPictures 001.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	2150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KitchenPictures 020.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	2151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KitchenPictures 021.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	2152  

Default Re: Kitchen Remodel

You don't actually provide us with how much a drop in what distance is involved.From your 3rd picture I am going to guess that the area from the ceiling beam to the outside was an add-on. That being the case, the outside foundation may have been installed slightly lower than it should have been or has settled. Leveling the floor inside would no doubt require removal and re-installation of the cabinetry.Not knowing what the structure looks like makes it difficult to supply a firm correction. It may be possible th jack the outside wall and shim it if the slop is small. Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Kitchen Remodel

Yes you are correct. There have been 2 add-ons. From 4 feet in from the sink is about a 1/4" drop back to the sink and then from the stove wall, is about a 1/2" drop towards the opposite wall at first and then a 1/4" after the initial drop. The whole add on is supported by a cinder block wall. I was looking at "cork underlayment" that comes in 3mm, 6mm and 12mm to maybe correct most of the fall and then laying new sheet vinyl on top. The kitchen floor is also fairly cold. I have put up insulation under most of it, but that last section is hard to get to because of supporting cinder blocks under the floor. The cork underlayment says that is good for thermal also. Does anybody have any experience with using rolled cork?