+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Houses and Jumping/Dancing

Hi, we own a 1920's home and my spouse and I are having a discussion about whether or not allowing our teenager to dance around in their room on the second floor will damage (i.e. cause cracks) in the downstairs ceiling. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Default Re: Old Houses and Jumping/Dancing

Howdy, a teenage jumping for joy at home. Now those are some ceiling cracks i could smile at for years and years.

based on the amount of info you provided it's impossible to know if the cielings will crack. your house could have ceilings that will crack if you're overweight mother in law comes over for a visit and walks around upstairs or your ceilings might not crack if you run a herd of horses through your upstairs. it all has to do with the framing and lumber used. the fact that your house was built in 1920 could be a disasterous thing or a fabulous thing, basically good builder vs poor builder, good building materials vs poor building materials, etc

If your ceilings appear to be in good shape after all those years, I wouldn't worry about it too much. A house of this age would have wood lath and plaster. When it goes bad, it gets irregular cracks and sagging all over the ceiling. If the plaster feels tight when you push up on it, it is probably in good shape.