+ Reply to Thread

Question Low Water Pressure

Incoming water pressure in my condo is only 38 to 40 PSI. Not good enough for my dishwasher and showers. After 40 years working for a water heater manufacturer, I know that optimum incoming water pressure should be at least 60 PSI. Question is can I install a pump to increase the pressure without a pressure tank? I simply don't have the space for a tank.

Pacific Northwet

Default Re: Low Water Pressure

Installing a standard well pump without a pressure tank would mean that the pump would start EVERY time a faucet is opened. If there is a very slow stream, it would probably start and stop rapidly and repeatedly.

Also, without a pressure tank near the pressure switch, you can get a situation where the pump starts, the pressure surges over the cut-out pressure, the pump starts, the pressure drops again below the cut-in pressure, and the whole cycle repeats. Not real good for the pump.

That said, I did manage to find this product which may be just the ticket: http://www.lgpc.com/WaterSystems/constant-pressure.aspx

And this website associated with the above product: http://www.constantpressure.com/
    Last edited by Fencepost; 01-01-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Low Water Pressure

Fencepost, that is an excellent system but it still requires a tank. Also, since it has a vfd controlling the motor, I am guessing it costs about $2K. If he is on a public utility, I would have them check the valve at the meter. If he is on a well, talk to the owner about increasing the pressure.
    "Lead by Example"