+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy hot water and recirculating pump

I have recirculating pump attached to a 4yr old 50 gallon gas water heater, pump installed 8 mos ago when I redid my 2nd floor bathroom. Included new pipes (PEX), recirc pump, new shower system with 2 shower heads with 2 valves. I have noticed that I do not have enough hot water in my shower and the two showerheads are different temps, both valves turned all the way to HOT. Still, not quite hot enough. Rest of house has plenty of nearly scalding hot water, just not in the shower. And the showerheads are two different temps which is frustrating I have to turn showerheads off because I am not warm enough in the new shower. I have noticed the following:
    1. I am not getting enough hot water in the shower, no cold needs to be titrated, and it is not hot enough for me.
    2. Contractor thinks it is lack of insulation when he installed the new pipes to the other showerhead.
    3. My father thinks it is the new valves are not mixing correctly or were not set up correctly.

I don't know. and the contractor will not come back out to the house so I'm stuck with a new bathroom and a new shower with dual showerheads that I almost cannot use. Any advice?
    Last edited by ksschwei; 12-31-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Default Re: hot water and recirculating pump

What make shower faucets are they? Most have a adjustable stops on the hot water. My guess is they are set to low and not the same. Insulation on the piping would have very little effect on the water temperature once the hot water has reached the faucet.

John

I'm going with John's suggestion.

Remove the shower faucet handle (some of them have a little cover plate that pops off to reveal the screw, either on the front or underneath). Next to the stem, there may be a little piece of plastic that engages teeth in the faucet body. This piece of plastic is the stop; it can be moved to adjust the maximum temperature.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I agree with John and Fence. Most likely there is a limit stop on valve. Insulation should have very little to do with water temp with a recirc pump. It is just a matter of finding what brand of valve you have, You can look it up on the internet or call cutomer service and they will tell you how to do it on the phone. As far as the contractor not coming back to fix this problem I wouldnt use him or refer him to anyone.