+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom Vanities

Default Custom Vanities

Thought I would share pictures of the two vanities that I built for my house. Currently in the process of building the kitchen cabinets. Pretty much just have to build the doors and draws and put up the crown molding.

The 1/2 bath vanity is the one that is the corner unit. It is made with straight grained fir. I happened to find at a local building surplus materials store near me 5/4 x 11" fir stair treads that were completely knot free and $6 a lf. So I bought a bunch and used it for several projects including the vanity. The counter top is made of Mangaris which I also found there. It is similar to Mahogany and looks great with a cherry or Mahogany stain.

The full bath vanity is maple with Mangaris panels and counter top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-2 Bath Vanity.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	2144

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full Bath Vanity.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	2145

Thumbs up Re: Custom Vanities

Very nice and you even did it while recycling.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Custom Vanities

Very nice!! I particularly like the corner vanity. Good work!

If you've not visited Walt Deckhouse's "kitchen cabinet" thread, I recommend you do so. Lot's of great info in there.

Keep up the good work Sabo, I look forward to seeing more of your projects.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I really like the corner one. I am a sucker for all wood cabinets. Is the wood you use really like Mohagany? I have alot in my house and it is getting harder to find. John

Quote Originally Posted by jboller56 View Post
    I really like the corner one. I am a sucker for all wood cabinets. Is the wood you use really like Mohagany? I have alot in my house and it is getting harder to find. John
    There are quite a few species that are similar to mahogany, luan is one. Do a little research to what is available in your area.

Side note, if you care about responsible forestry, "mahogany" is being cut illegally and sold on the open market. Look for responsible suppliers and species that are being managed properly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

Thank you all for the compliments. Mangaris is very similar in appearance to Mahogany. It is a medium to dark reddish brown color. It is very dense and heavy I'd say on the order of Ipe. Works great and sands and stains well. It can also be used as decking but I have heard that outside it tends to split a little more than Ipe or Mahogany. Like A.Spruce mentioned you want to be sure to buy wood especially exotic woods that are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) should be stamped on the wood or packaging if you buy bundles of wood. Also as a side note Mangaris is a trade mark name the actual species of wood is apparently Red Balau.
    Last edited by sabo4545; 02-15-2009 at 12:16 PM.