+ Reply to Thread

Thread: steam radiators

Default steam radiators

Hi,
    I have an old house (1902) with steam heat. I can not locate a radiator to replace one I removed from my kitchen after I remodeled it (should never have put in electric heat) does anyone know if they make a modern steam heat radiator or where I can find a used one? I have called about 10 scrap yards but no luck.Thanks,
    Al, Worcester, MA

Default Re: steam radiators

You can get them here but they won't be cheep. Scrap yards would be the best if you can find one.

John

http://www.usboiler.burnham.com/prod...iators/classic

You would probably pay much less for a used or restored cast iron rad, but you have to be careful to avoid one that leaks or is cracked or damaged---rad should be air pressure-tested to at least 2 psi & checked for hairline cracks.

In Worcester, try the Yellow Pages under Demolition Services, Used Plumbing Fixtures, Salvage Yards, etc.

Three outfits in the Boston area refurbish cast iron steam rads:

Google "A1 New and Used Plumbing and Heating" , "Antique Plumbing and Radiators", and "Radical Radiators Restoration"
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 12-30-2010 at 10:04 AM.

There is a company that makes new ones also

Checkout Runtal Radiator.

My friend put one in his small bath and loves it though he did say they are a bit pricey.

Space permitting you could install a short section of cast iron steam baseboard. I think you will find that the baseboard because of its low height and it lenth will probally heat your room better.

I believe you are about 60 miles from one of the largest used radiator and architecural suppliers in North America. New England Demolition & Salvage.

http://www.nedsalvage.com/products.html
    "Lead by Example"