+ Reply to Thread

Default construction adhesive vs thinset

The January/ February issue of This Old House Magazine has a woman attaching a marble fireplace surround with construction adhesive for stone. I have also seen Tom Silva use some adhesive it to attach granite for a surround on Ask This old House.

My question is:

When do you use the construction adhesive and when do you use modifed thinset for the surround?
    Is it based on the size of the stone or the fact that the pieces were so tight fitting that there will not be any grout space?

Default Re: construction adhesive vs thinset

honestly i dont think its either, i think its out of laziness. i really cant say for sure as i didnt see what it is your talking about. if its one single piece of stone it might work but if its individual tiles i would use mortar
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Liquid nails or similar is never an approved adhesive for setting any stone or tile. Epoxy is used to set slab stones, typically in commercial applications. If you are thinking of tiling your fireplace surround, a quality thinset will be the way to go. Make sure the tiles you are looking at will withstand any heat they may be affected by.

I just did a fireplace surround myself. I was scared to start the grouting too, it came out beautiful! I took peices of my tile to home dep. and held it to the samples of grout and chose a bone to go with my tile (which is cream with some grey to it) I used sanded and it wasnt that hard, I have 1/4 in spacers. It dries very even, no speckling.