+ Reply to Thread

Default Entertainment Center

I am trying to find the article that showed how to make an entertainment center out of stock cabinets and wardrobe cabinets. Does anyone know what issue this was in? For the life of me I can't find it again! Thanks so much!
    Marlo

Default Re: Entertainment Center

I don't know the artical you are looking for, but I might suggest that you look into an old lowboy dresser popular in the 50"s. You may still find one discarded when the mirror broke or otherwise became useless. The drawers are just right for DVD's, CD's and old VCR tapes. The top can support all the electronics out in the open so they get adequate cooling and the TV can be mounted on the wall above.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep my eyes open for one. I live in Montana so some of those good finds don't happen much here.

Perhaps I will find something that will keep the extra tall yellow lab away from the tv!

I've been thinking more on your question. If you go for stock cabinets, I'd recommend drawer units. The come in 18, 24 and 36" widths. A couple of these with end panels and a granite counter top should look real good. The granite top will isolate any vibrations from sub woofers to your components.

As for the lab, I don't know what to tell you. Electric fence around the TV?

The drawers are a great idea as is the granite top. From what I can remember the article I saw used two wardrobe cabinets on either side and then a dresser type unit to place the flat screen on. I have looked through all my magazines and can't find the article anywhere. I am starting to think I dreamed it up. Anyway, the look was all pulled together with crown molding. It looked very slick. The article described it as a built in look entertainment center.

I would have to figure out a way to run the equipment with the remotes. Perhaps putting in glass doors and covering them so they are opaque but the remote signal will be able to get through.

Well I'm going to keep dreaming up ideas!

Thanks again!
    Marlo

I found it!!!! It was in the July/August 2010 issue. I had given it to my parents to inspire some remodeling. I am glad I didn't dream it up! Now that I have found it I am going to use it and incorporate your suggestions as well. Thanks so much!