+ Reply to Thread

Default My wife does not see the artistic value in architecture...

Our house is 100% rectangular (ranch), the architect drew the master bed/bathroom walls at an angle, to break things up, I love it, my wife thinks its not worth the extra effort. How do you get someone to appreciate the subtleties of aesthetic effect? Maybe it would help if she read comments from all of you criticing the plans (see attachemnt). This project started as a bathroom/closet remodel, but the architech suggested we add a punch out to the back wall (outside wall) of the bedroom. I wanted a back door in case of fire. The architech drew a punch out that is not parallel to the existing back wall, it's at roughly a 10 degree angle because a door is fitted at one end. The wall dividing the master bathroom and bedroom is also skewed at 10 degrees so that it's perpendicular to the punchout. To me, skewing these two walls adds interest and...well it's hard to describe, I just like it. I am interested in hearing your comments. And thanks for your time and help. See attachment.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2313a.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	3762  

Default Re: My wife does not see the artistic value in architecture...

Do you like sleeping alone?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Buddy don't take tension that your wife doesn't like it.Every human is different from other human's it's not necessary that every one will appreciate your choice and design.So chill dude.

Looking at your plan, if the master bath walls were square to the room, you'd have some strange jogs in the wall to accommodate both the fixtures to be installed and sufficient space in the sleeping area. Aesthetic value aside, it may actually be LESS work to put in the angled walls than to make everything square.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.