+ Reply to Thread

Default paint or stain wolmanized posts andother boards

We just build two small decks using wolmanized posts, railings etc. Wife wants to either paint or stain these boards. We tried to paint but the paint peeled off. What is the first step in the process of preparing wolmanized wood for either painting or staining.

Default Re: paint or stain wolmanized posts andother boards

It is almost impossible to paint treated wood and expect it to stick. I've tried to paint 15 year old treated wood and it always peeled off regardless of my thorough prep. Staining wood with a opaque stain will work very well. A good pressure washing and thorough drying is the key to staining treated wood.

Default Re: paint or stain wolmanized posts andother boards

The very process of pressure treating wood subjects it to impregnation of water and chemicals under heat and pressure. If you pick up a piece of pressure treated wood at the lumber yard, it is often perceptibly heavier than a similar piece of kiln dried lumber. It is heavily infused with water. If you paint over this lumber before it has thoroughly dried out, it is guaranteed to peel!

You must let this lumber dry out. This will take at least several months, even in a dry climate. You can check it with a moisture meter. Lumber that has more than 10 to 12% moisture will peel.

Further complicating paint adhesion, is the basic construction of decks. There are just too many unprotected joints which will allow water into the wood. The tops of the joists are one area that rarely get protection and allow water to penetrate. You should at a minimum prime and paint the top edges of the joists before putting the decking on. Also, if possible, the bottom edges of the decking should be stained before fastening them down.

As CaptTCB states, stains will hold much better than paint on decks. Stains are far better at allowing moisture, which has gotten into the wood, to exit through the stain film without causing it to peel.

I live in the Pacific NorthWest, and getting stains to adhere to decks is an ongoing battle, compared to other drier climates. Even the cold Mid-Western climate, from which I moved,is gentler on decking than Oregon. Oregon is relatively warm, practically never below freezing by day, but it rains literally every other day, on average. This is followed by hot, dry summers. The accumulated moisture in the wood tires to get out as rapidly as possible, and peeling and paint/stain failure is the result.